Tom Sokat Credentials
What makes me qualified as your personal injury attorney?
- SUCCESS – You’re in it to win it. So am I, and I do. Check out the testimonials on this site or read some of the case studies where you’ll see time and time again I got my clients the maximum allowable award. I’ll get you what you’re entitled to too.
- 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE – Experience does matter. I have 25 years experience fighting and winning just about every type of personal injury accident claim in Contra Costa and Alameda county courts. I’ve got this.
- LOW 25%-33% CONTINGENCY RATE – Most personal injury attorneys charge a 33%-40% contingency rate. Because I have a lower overhead, I can charge less and put more money in your pocket.
- TENACITY – I became a personal injury lawyer because I have a strong desire to see the little guy get the justice that is due him after being injured. I fight hard for you because I care.
- AVAILABILITY – I take cases other attorneys will not touch or don’t have the time for. If you’ve been turned down by others, call me.
- PERSONAL, EXPERT ATTENTION – Unlike in large personal injury law firms where your case may be turned over to a legal assistant, I will personally and promptly handle your personal injury case.
- NO RECOVERY? NO WORRIES. NO FEE. – There is no financial risk to you and everything to gain because I work on a contingency basis only. If I don’t win your case, there is no fee.
Over the 30 years I’ve been practicing law I have successfully settled thousands that include accidents involving motor vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, dog bites and other animal attacks, product liability, premises liability, and even maritime and admiralty accidents.
Not only have I helped those injured through the negligence of others receive settlements for medical treatment, lost wages and suffering, my cases have opened the doors to reforms and protections that improve not only my clients’ lives but the communities where they live. My intimate knowledge of each community’s codes and courts guarantees you the best possible representation.
Learn more about me
- Read more about what makes me your best choice in your personal injury case (think David vs. Goliath)
- Get to know me in these video interviews
- See some of my case results
Other Personal Injury Qualifications and Background
1979 -1982 The American University
Washington College of Law
1974 -1978 Ramapo College
School of Environmental Studies
Mahwah, New Jersey
B.A., Political Science
1997 State Bar of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
1983 State Bar of Texas
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
Legal Employment History
2000 – Present The Law Office of Thomas E. Sokat
Founder and Owner
1997 – 1999 The Law Offices of Arnold Laub
San Francisco, CA
1991 – 1996 Magallanes, Sokat & Hinojosa, P.C.
1983 – 1990 Roth, Sokat & Best, P.C.
Giving back to the community through volunteer professional activities
Tom was a volunteer attorney and election monitor in the State of New Mexico for the U.S. Presidential campaign of 2004, a volunteer attorney and election monitor during 2006 mid-term elections in California and a volunteer attorney and election monitor in the State of Nevada for the U.S. Presidential campaign of 2008. Tom served as an oral argument judge for the 2007 Judge John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition in San Francisco.
Furthermore, over the course of his career, Tom has given many hours of pro bono legal services to clients in need of legal help and has been appointed by federal courts to represent indigent defendants.
- Volunteer Legal Counsel in the State of New Mexico for the Voter Protection Program in U.S. Presidential campaign of 2004
- Volunteer Legal Counsel during 2006 mid-term elections for Voter Protection Program in California
- Oral argument Judge of 2007 Judge John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition in San Francisco
- Volunteer Legal Counsel in State of Nevada for the Voter Protection Program in US. Presidential campaign of 2008